Principal Software Engineer
San Diego/California/ US Remote
As a software engineer at Alvys, you will develop and operate a SaaS platform for freight transportation logistics. Your work will reduce repetitive tasks, increase productivity, and create overall efficiencies in the movement of physical goods. This is a full-time, long-term role at an ambitious, early stage company. As such, it will require you to wear multiple hats, think creatively, adapt and navigate unfamiliar terrain.
Principal Sofware Engineer Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience with cloud-based distributed systems, including system design, implementation and production operation.
- Experience with parallel & concurrent programming, including an understanding of the tradeoffs between state consistency models, throughput & latency, asynchrony & synchrony.
- An understanding of memory models and GC with ability to troubleshoot performance issues.
- An understanding of domain modeling with the artifacts used for both implementation and documentation.
- Ability to analyze and react to operational metrics (throughput, latency, error rate, queue depth, memory utilization, etc).
- Willingness to learn a complex domain, model apply sophisticated engineering techniques, and operate as part of a team.
- Experience with our tech stack is appreciated, but not required.
- Kind, smart, gets things done.
Principal Software Engineer Responsabilities:
- Development: develop features and infrastructure components for the platform in order alongside the rest of the engineering team to distill patterns and reusable building blocks.
- Operations: monitor the platform in production, respond to alerts, debug and manage incidents, develop best-practices.
- Communication: communicate development status, requirements, technical specifications, proposals, best practices, both in written and verbal form.
- Engineering Excellence: facilitate engineering excellence across the team, including code quality, testing, system architecture, performance & reliability, capacity planning.
- Mentorship: in addition to their own responsibilities, principal engineers are expected to help the rest of the team in the form of code reviews, documentation, best practices, etc.
- Azure: we are cloud native, no on-premise or infrastructure.
- .NET/C#: back-end systems are written in C#.
- CosmosDB: our source-of-truth datastore and event log.
- Cognitive Search: used for search and reporting functions.
- Blobs, Tables, Queues: used for document storage as well as caches of external data.
- Functions, Logic Apps: simple automation tasks.
- Dart/Flutter: Native UI/UX.
- Azure Monitor & Application Insights: system and infrastructure monitoring and alerting.
- Integrations: hundreds integrations with various types of services, including geo-location, ELD, mapping, routing, as well as partner companies such as shippers, brokers, etc.
Transportation is a complex domain with many moving parts, lacking automation and standardization. The US freight industry at a glance:
- $800B in annual revenue
- $15T worth of goods moved, $12T by truck
- Fragmentation ~400,000 carriers, 96% with fewer than 6 trucks, 99% with fewer than 100
These carriers have been overlooked by technology companies and lack the tools they need to do their jobs.
Alvys is on a mission to make transportation logistics companies more efficient. We believe this requires two things 1) hands-on experience in the industry – so what we know what to build, and 2) world-class technical vision – so that we know how to build it. Originally built to support a freight brokerage, Alvys has evolved into a mission-critical multi-tenant SaaS platform used by transportation companies every day to run their businesses.